Homemade Triple Onion Dip
Yields 2 cups
Prep Time: 40 minutes; Total Time: 40 minutes
For a less sweet version of this dip, reduce the cooking time for the onions. I also suggest making a big batch of the caramelized onions ahead of time and freeze them. That way, you’ll be prepared to make dip immediately whenever the urge strikes! (Just thaw the onions and follow start at step 2.). For a vegetarian-friendly dip, look for Worcestershire that doesn’t contain anchovy.
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 2 Yellow Onions, chopped
- 1 Shallot, minced
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Stock
- 16 ounces Reduced Fat Sour Cream
- 3-4 dashes Worcestershire Sauce
- 4 Green Onions, white and light green parts chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder, or to taste
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Add the oil and butter to a small sauté pan set over medium heat. Once melted, add the onion, shallot, and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden brown – about 15 minutes. Add the stock. Cook another 15 minutes, or until the onions are deeply browned and all of the liquid has cooked off. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Add the sour cream to a medium mixing bowl. Stir in the caramel used onions, Worcestershire sauce, and green onions. Season to taste with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Chill until ready to serve.