In my opinion the key to a good sandwich is all in the layering. Make sure that your layers are complimentary to each other. I put the cheese on the bottom so it melts better.
I’ve made my version of Croque Madames before, but today with it snowing like a banshee I am making a new version with what I have on hand and calling it :
2 slices bread
2 large slices pastrami
1 slice Havarti
2 thin slices red onion
1 1/2 tablespoons of French Island
1 fried egg, basted
- Make a basted egg.
- Saute the onions until slightly caramelized.
- Layer a slice of cheese followed by pastrami pieces to fit the size of the cheese on the first slice of bread.
- Spread the French Island evenly on top.
- Layer onions in the dressing and top with the fried egg.
- Gently break the yolk.
- Top with remaining piece of bread and grill until toasted.