Holiday parties, football parties, and New Years buffets. They are all around us. And at every one, there is a dip of some sort. Fruit dip, chip dip, veggie dip, you name it, it’s there.
Here are a few of my favorite dips. And believe me, I don’t need a special occasion to eat any of these.
The chocolate hummus is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. My bean hating, hummus despising, 9 year old requests this all the time. It goes with fruits, crackers or pretzels. Did I mention this was amazing.
I am in love with onions so of course the caramelized onion dip has a special place in my heart. I’ve made it several times and end up eating way, way too much.
The peanut butter dip is just pure joy. Sweet smooth and just perfect.
1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup splenda (or sugar)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 – 4 tablespoons warm water
- Mix everything in a food processor. Add water as needed for consistency.
Sweet Caramelized Onion Dip
2 large sweet onions, chopped
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
1/2 cup fat free mayonnaise
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoon fat-free cream cheese, room temp
1 tablespoon I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter, light
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspon balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Heat butter in a large pan over medium heat on the stove.
- Once butter has coated the bottom of the pan, add onions, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Saute for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for additional 25 – 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are browned and caramelized.
- Add mustard and vinegar to the pan.
- Continue to cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In large bowl, combine sour cream, mayo and cream cheese. Whisk until smooth.
- Add cooled onions to the mayo mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Refrigerate overnight to allow flavors to combine.
- Serve with your favorite veggies or chips.
Peanut Butter Dip
1/2 cup lowfat vanilla yogurt (I used lite n fit)
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (I used peanut butter chocolate chips)
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon honey
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and serve with apples, veggies or pretzels. or just a spoon.