This recipe was originally this. Hubby liked it so well that I have written an alternative version that allows me to clean out the fruit drawer, freezer and eat it too! This version also allows me to make the flavorful part the night before while I’m cleaning up the kitchen and throw it together quickly the next night and no one knows I cheated a little.
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar ($0.65)
2 peaches ($0.82)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar($0.32)
1 tablespoon plum sauce* ($0.10)
1 tablespoon KARO syrup ($0.10)
1/2 cup hot water
1 teaspoon Better than Bouillon chicken base ($0.25)
1 pound chicken tenders, sliced into 1 inch pieces ($2.95)
1 1/2 cups prepared brown rice ($0.30)
- In a small saucepan bring the water, vinegar, bouillon and brown sugar to a boil. Add the chopped fruit pieces and boil 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Lower the heat and simmer for several minutes more.
- Spray a skillet with pure. Stir fry the chicken pieces until heated through.
- Transfer to a medium size bowl. Pour vinegar mixture over chicken pieces and chill several hours.
- Prepare rice.
- In a large skillet heat through the chicken mixture.
- Add the rice and heat through.
- Serve and Enjoy.
*The plum sauce and kiwi made a nice tropical taste that was a little more tart than the original recipe.